Five Helpful Practices For Pilgrims
1. Practice the arts of attention and listening.
2. Practice renewing yourself every day.
3. Practice meandering towards the center of every place.
4. Practice the ritual of reading sacred texts.
5. Practice gratitude and praise-singing.
From a fifth-century conversation between Zi Zhang and Confucius in The Analects.
See Phil Cousineau, The Art of Pilgrimage. (Boston: Element, 1998) page 126.
Breath Prayers To Experiment while in the Chartres Cathedral
Begin by paying attention to your natural way of breathing. Be aware of the inhale and the exhale without trying to change them. When you are ready, inhale breathing the entire cathedral into a single point in your heart. Then exhale, filling the entire cathedral with the love of God flowing from your heart. Continue to inhale and exhale in this way until you feel ready to stop.